Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lentil Soup

We are nearing the end of soup season here. I thought I needed to send this one out there while we still have some warm days. I love this soup. Maybe it is because it reminds me of my childhood. It is cheap and easy to make (which I think we are all looking for right now). I leave out the mint (YUCK). I took a picture and it didn't do it justice so you will have to imagine :) Also, the leftovers make a great burrito filling! This is vegetarian at it's finest. Even my meat lovin' husband makes yummy noises over this one :)

Mom's Lentil Soup
1 1/2 cups lentils
8 cups water (or unsalted chicken stock is what I used)
bay leaf (I was all out so I left this out)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sage
2-3 cloves minced garlic
4 medium tomatoes blanched and peeled or 16 oz can or chopped tomatoes (which is what I did for times sake)
1 large red onion diced
2 1/2 TBSP fresh minced mint (yuck, trust me on this)
2-3 stalks of celery (when I get celery in my produce co-op I always slice it and freeze it, I used about a cup of this)
butter
EVOO
salt and pepper

MAKES 10 cups
combine lentils, water, and spices in a pot. Boil for 2 hours until soft. Saute the onion in a little butter and EVOO for a couple minutes. Add the garlic and celery. Cook until the celery starts to soften. Add the tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes. Combine the veggies with the lentils. Season with mint (yuck), salt and pepper. Let simmer until ready to serve.

5 comments:

  1. Uh HELLO! I LOVE lentil soup! I'll make this one NOW. I have ALL the ingredients, too! Yahoo! BTW, I didn't think celery was "freezable"? How did you get it to work???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Lisa it is perfect when freezed and put in soups. I just slice it and throw it in a baggie. It won't defrost and be good for smearing peanut butter in but it is GREAT for soups, stir fry's etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Thanks for posting this. It was so yummy. I am going to have to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorites--even with the mint. In fact, I really like fresh mint in it. Reminds me of your childhood.

    ReplyDelete