Monday, March 28, 2011

Potato Cheese Soup

I have meant to get this up for awhile but I have been dealing with a BAD pregnancy (are they ever good?) and have not. I will have to add a picture later. I think I have made this a dozen times and have not taken a picture! This recipe is easy, cheap, and a crowd pleaser. It is one of those classic comfort foods that you go back to again and again. This recipe is from my Aunt Maryann's kitchen. She uses about 2x the cheese and whole milk...which does indeed make it really rich. I usually just use the regular amount of cheese and 1% or 2% milk.

  • Potato Cheese Soup

  • 6 med potatoes peeled and roughly chopped

  • 1/3 cup green onions (about 3 or 4 cut all the way up)

  • 3 stalks of celery diced fine (NOTHING worse then a chunk of under-done celery)

  • 3 cups chicken broth

  • 1 c milk


  • 2 c grated cheddar




  • Put first 4 ingredients in a stock pot. Boil until soft (about 1/2 hour usually). Mash (or stick an immersion blender in it...my favorite). Add milk and cheese about 10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This is always a favorite. Always goes first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I can kill myself over an elaborate recipe, but at family gatherings people clean out your bowl completely before they sniff at mine. Macaroni salad anyone?

    ReplyDelete