Monday, August 17, 2009

Bread so easy a three year old can make it!


This recipe I saw originally on Steamy Kitchen. The whole post is of her 4 year old making this bread. Keaton is not 4 yet but LOVES to help in the kitchen. I got out the measuring cups for him. Read the recipe and he made it. I have to admit it was better then any bread I have ever made. Slightly sourdoughish, very crispy on the outside. He is thrilled now to help by "making the bread" whenever I need....SAWEEET!
Here we go:
3 cups of flour in a big bowl (it will raise and little mixers make a mess :)
1/4 tsp of instant yeast (yep, just a 1/4....no misprint)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
(please note you can use part wheat flour but wheat flour is more "thirsty so decrease the total amount of flour by about a 1/4 cup)
Mix it up. If the mama is doing the mixing it takes me under a minute. Keaton can mix this baby up in a couple of minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it "sleep" on the counter 12-20 hours in a cozy warm place. In the "morning" you will be amazed at how nice and holey it looks. Take it out a put it on a flour'd counter. Wet your hands (it is a sticky dough and that is how it needs to stay, the water on your hands will balance the flour on the counter). Take it up in your hands and pull and tuck the sides in to make it smooth on one side and pulled in belly button style on the other. Put it belly button side down in a greased bowl. Let it sit for 2 more hours.
30 minutes before the rest is up fire up your oven to 450 I put a camping 10" dutch oven in there to warm up too.
THIS IS FROM THE STEAMY KITCHEN:
"The perfect pot for No Knead Bread
Let’s talk about the pot. So, you know you’re going to put the pot into a very very hot oven. Make sure that the pot can withstand 450F. Generally, if the pot is cheap, flimsy, has plastic handles and a remnant from your poor college days, it’s probably not going to be safe to use in that hot of an oven. Use a 5-qt or larger cast iron, ceramic, Pyrex, stainless steel or enamel pot.
Just check your pot collection – look for large, heavy, no plastic.
Round, oblong –does not matter. Should be at least 4″ tall. I use my Le Creuset emameled cast-iron. Yes, my cover has a thick plastic knob – but I did call Le Creuset’s customer service and they said while their literature says safe to 400F, it is still fine at 450F. Now, I don’t know whether the gal who talked with me really had the authority to tell me such a thing….but after over 30 loaves, my pot is still unblemished. After pre-heating, remove the hot pot from oven. Now plop this wobbly dough into the hot pot. Doesn’t matter how it lands – actually, the messier it lands, the more “rustic” it looks. Shake pot a bit to even out the dough.
secret: if you aren’t using a well-seasoned cast iron pan, you can put a piece of parchment paper in the pot first so that the No Knead Bread won’t stick to the bottom."
Back to me:
You then flop that bread into the pot belly button side up. If it flops out uneven no worries....think artisan. Cook covered for 30 minutes then uncovered for another 15-20 minutes. It is best warm but still yum later on :)

4 comments:

  1. I love this!! Teach em young, and they will be hooked for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this site is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to check it often. I love how some of the directions for this bread are so appropriate for a 3 year old. I wish all recipes everywhere used that kind of terminology, I think i would have a lot more success in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh! Looks yummy and super easy! I'll have to get Allison to help me when we make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the bread, but I have no three-year-old. And I don't think I have an appropiate pot, either. Bummer.

    Maybe Keats will make me some at Christmas time with thirsty flour.

    ReplyDelete