Thursday, November 5, 2009

Angie's Pie Crust

I was making a quiche the other night and I needed a pie crust. I didn't want to go to the store to buy one, didn't want to make one so I was in a pinch. My friend Angie had posted this on facebook so I thought I would give it a try. I could not believe how flaky, perfect and good this was....with NO effort. Seriously you HAVE to try this next time you need a quick pie crust. The best part is there is no clean up. It uses 1/2 cup oil instead of the 1/2 cup butter most pie crusts have. Angie suggests for a savory filling using olive oil and upping the salt to 1 tsp. For a fruit pie she suggests upping the sugar to 3 tsp. I thought it was really good. Not quite as good as my sister Amara's homemade crust but good none the less much better then the store pre-made.
Angie's Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbsp milk
Put all those ingredients right in your pie plate (no need to pre-grease). Mix them up with a fork. Prick the bottom and sides. If using a non-bake filling bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.
If using it for a baked pie/quiche bake as directed in the recipe.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea. Sometimes mixing and rolling etc. is too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the props, Kira!

    Seriously, this is so easy & good. True, it's not "Mom's buttery flaky crust", but it IS good & it is EASY!

    I've even used it as a top crust - just mix a double batch in your pie tin, reserve 1/2 & crumble over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds easy. No need to roll out?

    ReplyDelete