Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sugar free (or low sugar) Apple Butter

A couple years ago I got a book off Amazon called Jam it, Pickle it, Cure it. It is a book of cooking projects like making cheese, bacon, jams, etc. I am on a real kick to make anything I possibly can from scratch so this book has been fun for me. My kiddos got through all the jam I made last year so as soon as I could get some berries at a decent price I got right on it.
My favorite strawberry jam recipe has a little butter in it. That takes care of the foam. I have recently read about the scariness of canning butter so I left it out. Now I have all that darn foam on top. Not very pretty. Any ideas to prevent that that doesn't involve butter?!?!? Anyway, I made 2 kinds of strawberry jam. One kind you replace the lemon with balsamic vinegar. The other kind you add a little vanilla. My family LOVED both kinds and they will go into the rotation.
Now back to the book. I wanted some jam for the sugar free Mama too. There is a recipe in there for apple butter. I have made a lot of apple butter in my days but this one has you ROAST the apples. ANYTHING tastes better roasted so it had my attention. Even better the recipe only called for 1/3 cup brown sugar for the whole darn batch. That was still too much sugar for me so I switched it out for Stevia (after the jam had COMPLETELY cooled....cooked stevia=yuck). It is GREAT. Keaton prefers it. Lee loves it. It is a winner. So, here you go...try it out. If you want some more "cooking projects" head on over to Amazon and get the book!

Roasted Apple Butter
8 pounds sweet apples
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup golden brown sugar (or add same amount of (measures like sugar style) stevia)
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom (I didn't have this so I left it out)

preheat oven to 350
Peel, quarter, and core apples and put on 2 pan sprayed cookie sheets in a single layer. Cook for 2 hours until brown and fragrant (switching and turning 2 sheets at one hour). Puree in blender or food processor for 4 minutes. Add rest of the ingredients (except stevia if using that) then puree for 2 or 3 minutes more until all spices are incorporated and it is pudding like. If using stevia add after completely cool. This will store in a glass jar in your fridge for up to a month.



1 comment:

  1. Wow, good for you. Stevia usually doesn't work well in cooked recipes. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete