Thursday, October 15, 2009

15 minute chicken on the bone


Oh how my little guy thinks things are better "on the bone". He told me the other day that he would prefer his corn "on the bone". I got these drumsticks at my local associated food store for 49 cents a pound. You would have thought I bought Sirloin with the glee in my house. This dinner was SO easy. Total prep time was less then 15 minutes with about 30 minutes cook time.
Quick Tyler Florence Chicken Drumsticks (with my variations)
Put baking sheet in 400 degree oven to heat up oven and pan.
Rinse and dry chicken (this is really important it keeps chicken from tasting "fishy")
Put chicken in a bowl with 1-2 Tbsp olive oil. I had about 12 "sticks" and coated them all with 2 Tbsp. In a ziploc put about 3/4 cup of bread crumbs (panko makes this so crispy like the best fried chicken) and about a tsp of garlic salt and onion powder. Coat chicken in bread crumbs. Take out pan and put a drizzle of olive oil on it (it will hiss and smoke). Put your chicken on there. Put in your 400 oven for 15 minutes flip after 15 minutes. It will be golden and delicious (Keaton ate THREE)!
The carrots/ potatoes go together real quick while the first 15 minutes is passing. You can also do frozen veggies and rice, or instant potatoes and then you have a 5 minute fix and can put up your feet!
For the carrots peel and slice about a pound of carrots. Steam them in a steamer or cook them with a little water in the microwave. Right before serving mix about 2 Tbsp melted butter (I used smart balance spread) 1-2 Tbsp honey, and about a tsp of garlic salt.
The potatoes are just baby white skinned potatoes we got in our produce co-op basket (for more info on that click Here ). They were really quite clean so I rinsed and boiled (with skins) then mashed the whole thing up with some smart balance, lemon pepper, salt and fat free milk.
All quick....all easy...great meal....

1 comment: