Thursday, October 1, 2009

Enchilada Sauce


This is my favorite recipe for enchilada sauce. It makes a ton so we have extra in the fridge. I fill my enchiladas with crockpot cooked chicken, light sour cream, corn, and green onions. Then I can put the cheese on the top where you notice it. The guac is just avocado mixed with Costco's Jack Salsa. Making your own enchilada sauce is MUCH more tasty, not to mention less then 1/2 the cost. This is a keeper (thanks to Amy at Sisters Dish for this great recipe).
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 Tbsp flour
6 Tbsp chili powder
1 29oz can diced tomatoes (puree in blender (don't think that tomato sauce is the same....it is not)
1 can chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp onion salt
Heat oil on med high heat. Turn down to med and add flour and chili powder. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes (you gotta stir to keep it from burning). Slowly add in tomatoes, broth, and spices. Cook for another 10 minutes until slightly thick.
This is also great mixed in beans for a great bean dip.

4 comments:

  1. I finally looked at this. Thanks for creating a place for recipes, especially the ones you have been working on.

    This sauce sounds god. We may even try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sounds great. Do you have one for spaghetti too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a lot of oil. Does it make a lot though? I know regular enchi sauce has a ton too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amara-
    It makes enough for 2 BIG 9x13 pans so I don't think 1/4 cup for a 9x13 is a ton. Maybe I am wrong?

    ReplyDelete